HELLO MAC AND CHEESE. WITH ZUCCHINI. So creamy. So luxurious. So tantalizing.
Over time I’ve gotten many requests for a wholesome mac and cheese recipe and you know the way I LOVE to loosen up consolation meals with irresistible inventive flavors and twists. I perfected this zucchini mac and cheese about 4 years in the past and it’s no completely different! It’s a lightened-up model of conventional mac and cheese that features a TON of shredded zucchini.
Now I do know what it’s possible you’ll be pondering: zucchini in mac and cheese, realllllllyyyy? AND I SAY YES, REALLY. I promise with my complete Robert Pattinson-loving-heart you can’t even style the zucchini. It’s simply pure golden creamy tacky goodness up in that skillet.
FREE Zucchini Recipe E-Ebook
Enroll beneath and get a FREE downloadable, printable e-book with my greatest zucchini recipes (candy and savory!)
Welcome to the AK Summer time Collection
For the remainder of the summer season, we’ll be dedicating every week to pick summer season produce! Week 4 is HERE and we’re celebrating stunning zucchini persevering with with this scrumptious zucchini mac and cheese recipe. Keep tuned on the weblog and on Instagram for every week’s produce spotlight, enjoyable movies, and extra.
What’s on this zucchini mac and cheese?
This zucchini mac and cheese is made with tremendous easy substances that you just in all probability have already got in your pantry and fridge. Your entire recipe takes about 20 minutes from begin to end, making it good for scrumptious weeknight meals that you just, your accomplice and kiddos will actually INHALE. Listed here are the 7 key substances you’ll want:
- Pasta: I LOVE utilizing shells as a result of the cheese coats the within of every shell and offers it unbelievable tacky taste. Be at liberty to make use of gluten free pasta too!
- Butter: you solely want two tablespoons for all the mac and cheese recipe.
- Flour: you need to use complete wheat, all function flour, or gluten free all function flour to thicken up that scrumptious cheese sauce.
- Spices: we’re including garlic powder and onion powder to taste that scrumptious cheese sauce.
- Milk of alternative: I usually make this with unsweetened almond or cashew milk as a result of we don’t purchase common milk. Nonetheless, you need to use no matter milk you’d like. In order for you a richer mac and cheese, use 2% or complete.
- Sharp cheddar cheese: I like to recommend shredding your individual cheese from a block of cheese. It melts significantly better as a result of it doesn’t have the stabilizers present in pre-shredded cheese.
- Zucchini: our secret star veggie that provides the right increase of veggies to this tacky skillet.
Customise this more healthy zucchini mac and cheese
- Select a enjoyable cheese. It’s enjoyable to select a special cheese to prime the mac and cheese. I attempted a spicy cheddar and it was unbelievable, however pepper jack, parmesan, sharp cheddar or gouda would even be scrumptious. It’s as much as you!
- Add extra veggies. Be at liberty so as to add much more veggies like peas or broccoli.
- Add a lift of protein. This dish could be scrumptious with hen or chickpeas!
Jazz it up with a breadcrumb topping
This zucchini mac and cheese could be scrumptious with a crispy breadcrumb topping! So as to add one:
- Combine 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs with 1 tablespoon of melted butter
- Sprinkle it on prime of your mac and cheese
- Bake it for about 20 minutes and luxuriate in!
Suggestions for making zucchini mac and cheese
This spectacular mac and cheese is simpler to make than you suppose! You’ll solely want one pot to boil the pasta and a skillet or one other giant pot to make the mac and cheese. Apart from watching the video to information you, listed below are a couple of ideas and methods to bear in mind once you make this recipe:
- Squeeze out the zucchini. Make certain to squeeze the zucchini of all extra moisture. I exhibit how to do that within the video beneath.
- Use a block of cheese. I like to recommend shredding a block of cheese as an alternative of utilizing a bundle. It usually melts higher when shredded from the block!
- Timing is essential for the slurry. While you make your slurry sauce, it’s necessary to have all of your substances already measured out and able to go as a result of it’s a fast course of! As soon as the butter is melted, you’ll whisk in a bit of little bit of the flour after which slowly add in milk, a bit of bit at a time, alternating with the flour and vigorously whisking away any lumps. It is best to find yourself with a clean paste each time with out too many lumps.
- Cheese it up. On the finish, you possibly can both put the mac and cheese beneath the broiler for a couple of minutes to essentially get the highest melted and golden, OR you possibly can be at liberty to easily stir within the cheddar cheese you placed on prime.
How one can retailer & reheat mac and cheese
- To retailer: retailer this more healthy zucchini mac and cheese in an hermetic container for as much as 3-5 days (if it lasts that lengthy!)
- To reheat: you possibly can reheat it within the microwave to save lots of time, however I might suggest including it to a frivolously oiled baking dish and heating it within the oven for about 20 minutes at 375 levels F. This may assist the mac and cheese get that bubbly cheese issue again with out drying out.
Watch me make the zucchini mac and cheese
Extra zucchini recipes you’ll love
Get all of my zucchini recipes right here!
I hope you like this simple zucchini mac and cheese recipe! If you happen to make it make sure you go away a remark and a ranking so I understand how you preferred it. Take pleasure in, xo!
Zucchini Mac and Cheese
Deliciously creamy zucchini mac and cheese is the last word, wholesome consolation meals that provides in further veggies! Make this more healthy, simple zucchini mac and cheese for a weeknight dinner that the entire household will love. Choices so as to add further protein and much more veggies, too!
- 10 ounces dry pasta shells (gluten free if desired)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup complete wheat pastry flour (or sub common flour or GF all function flour)
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened cashew milk, almond milk or common milk (from the carton or do-it-yourself in the event you choose)
- ¼ teaspoon salt, plus extra to style
- Freshly floor black pepper
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese)
- 1 ½ heaping cups shredded zucchini that’s been squeezed of extra moisture with a paper towel
- For topping:
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and reserved for the topping (or about ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese)
- First boil the noodles till al dente, in line with the instructions on the bundle. As soon as completed cooking, drain and put aside.
- Whereas the noodles are boiling, make a slurry: In a big oven protected skillet or pot add butter and place over medium warmth. As soon as butter is melted, whisk in a bit of little bit of the flour after which slowly add in milk, a bit of bit at a time, alternating with the flour and vigorously whisking away any lumps. Carry combination to a boil, then scale back warmth and simmer for a couple of minutes stirring occasionally, till the sauce thickens up much like a gravy. Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, salt and LOTS of freshly floor black pepper.
- Subsequent add in 6 ounces (or about 1 ½ cups) of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and stir till fully melted. Lastly fold in cooked noodles and shredded zucchini. Style and add extra salt and pepper, if desired.
- OPTIONAL BUT RECOMMENDED: Prime mac and cheese with 2 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese. At this level you possibly can both serve the mac and cheese as is and simply fold within the further cheddar you simply added, or take away from warmth and place beneath the broiler for 1-2 minutes or till cheese is bubbly and barely golden. Serves 4 as a fundamental, 6 as a facet dish.
See the complete submit for ideas, methods and methods to customise!
Serving: 1servingEnergy: 514kcalCarbohydrates: 62.6gProtein: 24.6gFats: 19.9gSaturated Fats: 10.6gFiber: 4.9gSugar: 2.8g
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Formidable Kitchen | Pictures by: Eat Love Eats
This submit was initially revealed on August sixth, 2019, and republished on August 2nd, 2023.